Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The way we see things...

I think that most people would agree that everyone sees things through some sort of bias. Raised in a Southern Baptist church...I generally see things from a somewhat conservative view. Now, the question I would like to present is: What bias are we viewing the Bible through?

The truth is, most of us see a very westernized Jesus as well a very westernized take on the things Christ said. Most people from my background generally will see no problem with this at all...the thing is: Jesus was a Jewish Rabbi from the Middle East.

Several things have brought me to think on these things. One, being my Hebrew professor, two, the notes that my friend Scott wrote from a sermon given by Rob Bell.

Anyway, Jesus is God and being God He knows that to communicate effectively with those whom he was on earth with in Biblical times, most of which were Jews of Hebrew descent, He would have obviously spoken in a way that was familiar to them i.e. parables and the like. Granted, many of them did not grasp his points....I'm talking about the language itself, the words meanings.

For example, in Hebrew thought, as well as the general Middle Eastern area, the word heart did not mean feelings like it does to most Westerners. The heart was not the center of emotion to those of that culture, it was like referring to the mind, thought, and discernment. The center of emotion was the bowels, or the intestines. Which makes sense if you think about common phrases like, " butterflies in the stomach" and "a gut feeling."

Now, think of the implications. If we were to interpret "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts," (Deuteronomy 5:23 NIV) what changes would be made? Would there be any change to Christian practice? I don't know.

Another example. Hesed, to those who have done biblical background work have more than likely done some sort of word study dealing with this word, we know that this is a fairly common Hebrew word in the Old Testament and that it is usually translated 'lovingkindness', 'faithfulness', or something dealing with those ideas.

The point is that this word is probably best translated as steadfast love, according to my Hebrew prof, and it is a love not dealing with emotions or feelings. It is a love connected with a covenant, such as God's love for His people, for Israel...David and Jonathan's love...even a marital love. Our love must not always be based on the way we feel! Love is an important decision! The problem is that most people in America only associate love with feelings.

Ok so that wasn't really the point...the point is that we didn't really have a word to convey this idea in English and in most cases the word is translated love which, in our minds, triggers feeling. But that's not what the Hebrew means.

I think that seeing what the author intended us to see is key to understanding the meaning of scripture. What do you think? I am I way off?

No comments: